Easter Weekend at Heart of God Church


It's Easter Weekend! Can't believe the first quarter of the year has passed so quickly.
Easter services are always something to look forward to - this year we had a totally new GXT Video with new characters (although there was a cameo appearance of some old characters) and of course, in 3 / 6 services (including the one I went to) there was a segment dedicated to pay tribute to our founding father, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew. I'll share all the stuff about Mr. Lee in another post (I know I said that last week), but here are my sermon notes as usual. 

-----------------------------------------------------

3 Things that Jesus Christ Taught Me (Pastor Tan Seow How)


1. Jesus taught me how to DREAM
    ... All things are possible
    ... To him who believes

Matthew 19:26 (NKJV) 
But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” 

Mark 9:23 (NKJV) 
Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” 


2. Jesus taught me how to DARE
    ... I can do all things through Christ (Philippians 4:13)
    ... We do not need to be intimidated... if God is for us who can be against us

Philippians 4:13 (NKJV) 
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 


3. Jesus taught me how to DIE
    ... Jesus died young. He was only 33. He did so deliberately because He thought about transition and succession... He said He had to go so that the Holy Spirit could come. 

John 19:30 (NLT) 
…He said, “It is finished!” Then he bowed his head and released his spirit

"It is finished" is very different from "I am finished"
... He released His Spirit - He had the power to choose when and where to release His Spirit. He is God so death doesn't overcome Him.
     
Real success is not what you achieve but what you set in motion.

Napoleon said at the end of his life.. 
“Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne and I founded empires by Force.  
But Jesus Christ founded His empire by LOVE.  At this moment, millions of men would die for him.”

The reason the kingdom of Christ is still going strong is because of Love.

John 15:13 (NLT) 
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 

Matthew 16:25 (NKJV) 
For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 

Jesus taught us how to die and how to live, how to love, how to be selfless.

Government and administration can change a nation but only Jesus can change our hearts. 

*** There was a powerful story shared at the end of the sermon that really touched me... It was about this guy, Han Siang, who used to come from a background of gangs and gambling and smoking. He was marked by the police even in secondary school and lost like $7,000 in a few minutes of gambling. His mom was a Christian who was constantly praying for him even though he went wayward. 

Well, when he was at his lowest point wondering about what he was going to do with his life he came to Heart of God Church. Was really funny because he shared that the people made him feel so welcome and comfortable that he hung out with them playing games in a circle and he said "if my gang friends saw me they would think that I'm crazy" He really felt the peace of God and the love of people and his friends and leaders gave him the courage to quit smoking. Jiewei fasted with him and KS sent him encouraging messages just at the right time. He even quit his gang. 

Now his life is totally changed. He is helping other boys from similar background. He brings them out for family meals and spends time with them. He said something that really got me. He said, "I want to show them that if I can do it, they can do it too!" Love these kinds of stories... this is what Easter is all about I guess.